About Susie Layton
A Counsellor and Mediator
I am an experienced Individuals and Couples Therapist, a Registered Member of BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and a Family Mediator (Trained Member of College of Mediators), registered with FMC (Family Mediation Council) and have worked in Private Practice since 2012.
I have previous experience working in counselling agencies; working with clients presenting with a wide variety of issues in one agency and counselling clients abused and traumatised by domestic violence in another. My work has also included counselling perpetrators of domestic violence.
I have set up and developed a school counselling service in a state secondary school. My years of experience working with 11-18 years olds has given me huge insights into the pain and confusion that adolescents experience when parents separate and families are split up.
During my counselling training, I was a volunteer Samaritan, supporting people experiencing feelings of emotional distress, despair and suicidal ideation. Concurrently, I trained and worked as a Bereavement Counsellor (and later a Clinical Supervisor) for Cruse Bereavement (a nationwide charity).
My interest in couples therapy led me to train as a Family Mediator. Since training, I have worked in a Family Mediation Practice and have now incorporated mediation into my Private Practice.
Talk to Susie
My training and qualifications
- Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling
- Trained Couples Therapist (The Centre for Psychosexual Health, London)
- Trained Family Mediator (National Family Mediation, London)
- Trained Bereavement Counsellor (Cruse Bereavement)
- Ascentis Award in Clinical Supervision
- Accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator (Align Mediation, Oxford)
- Registered Member of BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and I abide by their Code of Ethics
- Member of College of Mediators and working towards accreditation
I am an Integrative Counsellor which means that I am trained in several modalities of counselling including Psychodynamic Theory, Transactional Analysis (TA), Bowlby’s Attachment Theory, Person Centred Theory and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). My training helps me to work in a way that will be tailored to your individual needs.